CAMERA NEWS: April 24, 2013When I went to Japan last year I carried two cameras with me. One was the robust, high performance Canon 5D Mark III, a 22MP full frame DSLR that costs about $4000. The other was a small superzoom camera with a 24x zoom range, the Panasonic FZ150. That little camera weighs about 1.5 lbs, has a much smaller 12MP sensor as compared to the Canon, and it was priced at $450.
Technically, the Canon 5D is by far the better camera of the two. It's got a much larger sensor, higher resolution, and less digital noise in low light scenes. Its lens is optically superior. And it has a wider range of ontrols that the FZ150 does not have. But the funny thing is, all of my best photographs from Japan were taken with the Panny FZ150. Read more
Best Cameras of 2013
Smaller and lighter than DSLRs cameras but with interchangeable lenses:
Best low-priced DSLR cameras for beginning and intermediate photographers:
Best top of the line DSLR cameras for professionals and serious photographers:
The longest zoom ranges on the market, for great wide angle shots and close ups:
Best zoom ranges in a compact camera. Carry up to 24x zoom in your pocket:
- Sony HX20 $330
Waterproof cameras for pool, beach, snorkeling. Dust and shock resistant for tough use:
For best picture quality in a compact camera with an inbuilt lens:
Cheap and popular pocket cameras that take great pictures for the money:
Points of Interest
- Best Cameras of 2012
- We did some hands on testing in 2012 and picked these cameras as the best.
- Hands-On Shoot-Outs
- Some of our past shoout-outs between some of the most popular cameras in the market.
- Use the PhotoScope tool to compare photographs of our test scene taken by any two cameras of your choosing at different ISO levels.
- Buy our Test Cameras at Huge Discounts Here
- We buy new cameras from camera retailers to test and review them. Once we are finished testing, we sell them here at a discount.
- Compare Camera Specs
- Use this tool to compare camera specs side-by-side.